Egypt is a country full of history, culture, and landscapes, and knowing the best time to travel to Egypt makes every vacation in Egypt a new adventure that you take. Unique desert landscapes, attractions, and vacation spots provide a great combination for an exciting trip that you will not forget.
Below you will find information about the climate, the best time to go, and the weather for the holiday in the best Egyptian travel destinations. We created climate tables and charts for the locations of Cairo, Alexandria, Aswan, and Luxor. These contain details about temperatures, precipitation, and more.
Also, we made a recommendation in which months you should travel to Egypt for a vacation.
Get up to 10%Off when booking one of our Egypt Vacation Packages check then now!
Nile River Corniche at Night, Cairo.
Check our Content list about the best time to travel to Egypt:
- Climate & Weather in Egypt
- The best time by region
- Mediterranean coast
- Coasts on the Red Sea
- Nile Valley
- The best time according to activities
- Beach vacation
- Round trips
- Desert tours
- Nile cruise
- The best time according to the seasons
- Tips before organizing a trip to Egypt
What’s the weather like in Egypt?
Many sections of Egypt are located in the dry zone of North Africa, which means we have a desert environment. Only in the Mediterranean’s coastline regions can one find a Mediterranean climate.
A subtropical climate prevails both along the Red Sea’s shore and inland in the desert. However, sea breezes bring in the fresh air, making the heat tolerable in desert areas, unlike in the arid desert. This area receives little or no rain.
Port Said is 31 degrees cooler than Cairo, 34 degrees cooler than the capital Cairo, and Hurghada is 36 degrees cooler than Aswan in the southeast of Egypt on a July day. This spring, hot sand and dust wind from the south sweep throughout the nation, bringing two suns.
Hurghada Beach at the Red Sea, Egypt.
People can expect daytime temperatures of about 20 degrees Celsius during winter from November to February. The nights can get about 10 degrees Celsius cooler, but the rest of the year the weather is still mild and comfortable. Especially on the coast, the weather is mild and pleasant all year long.
In December, January, and February, there may even be a few rainy days on the Mediterranean coast. In desert areas, on the other hand, there is almost no chance of rain. In Aswan and Luxor, east of the Nile, there can be no more than two rainy days a year. When it’s hot outside in the summer, this can cause heatwaves with temperatures above the 45-degree mark.
Find out in the following when the best time to go on a trip to Egypt is. It all depends on what you want to do and where you are going on your trip. So, we’ll give you an overview of all the places that are good for tourists, and we’ll show you when it makes the most sense to go.
Egypt weather and climate facts:
- The annual average temperature in Alexandria (Egypt) is 20 ° C.
- The highest temperatures are in Alexandria (Egypt) reached in August at 31 ° C.
- The coldest month, on the other hand, is January, during which night temperatures of around 10 ° C are measured.
- The monthly average temperature fluctuates between 14 ° C and 27 ° C over the year.
- The temperatures in Alexandria (Egypt) differ quite significantly from one another in the individual months. The different seasons are clearly defined.
- In most months the average temperature is at least 19 ° C (namely in all months except January, February, March, and December). Based on the temperature, these warm months can be recommended as the best travel time.
Best time to travel to Egypt by region
1- Mediterranean Coast & Nile Delta
Although this region is the “wettest” in the country, this is only a relative value. Precipitation falls on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt only sparingly, only a few days of rain can be expected in the winter months. Astonishingly, the hottest temperatures (up to 45 degrees) can be measured, especially in late spring (May, June).
The best travel time for the Mediterranean coast of Egypt is from May to September. The slightly higher humidity in this area makes the hot temperatures a bit more uncomfortable than, for example, in the center or the south of the country.
2- Coasts on the Red Sea
The main vacation spots of the country in Egypt are mainly concentrated on the Red Sea. The reason for this is probably the more pleasant climate compared to all other parts of Egypt. Popular vacation spots such as Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, and Marsa Alam are on the coast of the Red Sea. Spring and autumn in particular have proven to be the best time to travel to the Red Sea attractions.
The temperatures at these times are a lot warmer than in other popular holiday regions in Egypt, but still very bearable. Midsummer gets very hot with temperatures of 40 degrees in some places but is still in the bearable range for most bathing holidaymakers. From June the water temperatures on the Red Sea will already reach over 25 degrees, wonderful conditions for a beach holiday.
3- Nile Valley
Let’s take another look at the interior of Egypt. Here we roughly distinguish between the large desert area in the west of the country and the many places that stretch along the Nile. The great river was of course the reason for the settlement of numerous tribes a long time ago, which has created great cultures and exciting sights. Just think of the ancient cities of ancient Egypt in Giza (Cairo) or Luxor.
For all places from Cairo to Luxor to Aswan in the south of the Egyptian summers are very long and hot. Peak values can even be 48 to 50 degrees here in July and August. The only consolation is the very low humidity, which makes the hot temperatures a bit more bearable.
The winters, however, are relatively cooler, but still very pleasant with an average of 20 degrees. Spring and autumn are considered pleasant in terms of heat but are very short. This is why these months are the best time to travel inland Egypt and the Nile.
Despite the spread of desert landscapes, Egypt is a super versatile country. In particular, the many different activities that are offered make every vacation something extraordinary. Whether desert tours, cultural trips, or just a beach holiday – a lot is conceivable in Egypt.
Best time to travel to Egypt according to activities
1- Beach vacation in Egypt – when does it start?
Family on the beach at Hurghada, Red Sea.
When compared to the rest of Egypt, the northern section of the nation has the coldest climate. In the summer, the average temperature rises from 26 to 29 degrees Fahrenheit, and the water temperature is similarly lower than the Red Sea’s average.
As a result, the best time to go on vacation is during the summer, when temperatures are at or near record highs around the nation. Temperatures in the lake range from 20 to 22 degrees Fahrenheit from May through September. As a result, it is the ideal time to visit Egypt’s coast for a beach vacation.
My personal favorites, Hurghada and Sharm-El-Sheikh, are next on the list. All year-round, the two vacation destinations may be visited. So that you may enjoy a beach vacation all year round. Summer’s sweltering temperatures may be alleviated by sea breezes.
The water temperature seldom drops below 20 degrees in the winter, making it one of the mildest climates in the world. Temperatures drop to 11 degrees at night during the winter months. For a beach vacation in Egypt, spring and fall are the finest times to visit.
Egypt is a budget-friendly vacation spot. Midsummer in Egypt is hot and humid, but you won’t have to cope with any packed beaches. Due to the minimal rush, hotels and airfares are also cheaper at this time!
This area is famous for its diving, so let’s have a look at this exciting pastime. The ideal season to visit Egypt for scuba diving is from May through November. Chilblains are most common in the summer months of July and August when water temperatures range from 28 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit.
While some of the most famous diving locations are often crowded, this is not always the case. As a result, the months of October and November are ideal for less crowded and yet enjoyable dives Temperatures in the Red Sea are now between 25 and 26 degrees Celsius.
2- Round trip to Egypt
Camel at Giza Plateau
The most culturally interesting areas for a round trip in Egypt can all be found along the Nile. In particular, the city of Cairo and parts of Upper Egypt (Luxor, Aswan) offer those interested in culture countless opportunities and extremely exciting sights.
The best travel time for round trips in Egypt is between February and April and October and November. Winter is also ideal for sightseeing.
3- Desert tours in Egypt
White desert in Egypt.
Desert safari tours and trekking activities should not be done in the winter months of December to February, as it cools down significantly at night in these areas. We also advise against the midsummer months of June to August. But if you are already on vacation in Egypt, you should think about such trips.
They mean great and unforgettable adventures in a landscape that is largely foreign to us. The best travel time for desert tours in Egypt includes spring and autumn: More specifically, the month are March to May and September to November.
4- Nile cruises in Egypt
Nile Cruise in Luxor, Egypt.
Anyone who hasn’t taken a cruise on the Nile should do it at some point in their life. You’ll get a real sense of Egypt’s culture and history as you pass by ancient landmarks and locations that may be visited.
One of the numerous beautiful cruise ships is also where they will be staying. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. From October to May, travelers visiting Egypt may enjoy the most favorable conditions for Nile cruises. This is due to the high temperatures and the danger of burns that many tourists face throughout the summer months.
The summer months, on the other hand, are also possible for individuals who are able to handle the heat. In this case, the cruises are less crowded and cheaper.
Is it safe to navigate the Nile in 2022/2023?
There is no better time than 2022 to sail on the Nile. A Nile cruise holiday is a wonderful way to see Egypt’s historic sites, particularly Luxor and Aswan. By many accounts, the tourism industry is poised for growth in 2022, particularly on Nile cruises, where the whole Nile bank at Luxor and Aswan is bustling with competitors and tourists seeing ancient monuments.
Best time to travel to Egypt according to the seasons
1- Egypt vacation in spring
Spring is pretty much the best time to visit Egypt. The sun is shining, the temperatures are pleasantly warm and the vacation spots are not too crowded. At this time of year, you can go on a bathing or beach holiday, but also explore the ancient sites of Egypt.
2- Egypt vacation in summer
The summers in Egypt are very hot because the thermometer here often climbs to over 40 ° C at noon. If you are planning a summer holiday in Egypt, a beach holiday in the northern parts of the country, for example in Alexandria, is recommended.
3- Egypt vacation in autumn
Similar to spring, autumn is also the ideal travel time for a vacation in Egypt. The Red Sea invites all beach lovers to its coasts at this time. And cultural and city trips to Cairo or Luxor are also available in autumn. Autumn is also the best time to travel on a Nile cruise.
4- Egypt vacation in winter
The temperatures fluctuate in winter from 20 ° C during the day to 0 ° C at night. At the Red Sea, the temperatures are even warm enough to spend a beach holiday in Egypt in winter. And a cultural trip to the most impressive buildings of the ancient Egyptians is also easily possible in winter.
5- Egypt vacation in Ramadan
Many tourists avoid traveling to Egypt during Ramadan, because it is linked to the lunar year, and it wanders throughout the year. Since Egyptians, by following religion and tradition, fast during the day, they are tired and ineffective (well, this does not necessarily have to be a defect).
Many stores, offices, and museums are also open for a shorter period or even completely closed. Many restaurants do not open until the evening hours. Ramadan will start in early summer for the next few years (Monday, April 13 to Tuesday), if this is not the best time to visit Egypt anyway.
Tips before organizing a trip to Egypt
In any case, visiting Egypt is not impossible if you pay close attention and take the necessary precautions. Here’re our recommendations.
- Respect and maintain the culture and maintain a behavior appropriate to local use.
- Never photograph devices, military, and police buildings.
- Avoid participating in events and keep away from crowds.
- Avoid going for excursions without a guide and/or expert driver.
- Rely only on professional tour operators and do not leave the recommended tourist itineraries.
- Use clothing that is never provocative, and covers up as much as possible (both men and women)
- Don’t tell anyone about your sexual orientation and don’t use dating apps.
- Be especially vigilant during periods of religious holidays such as Ramadam or Easter.
- Leave your passport in a safe deposit box and walk around with only a copy.
- Do not travel without having carried out the recommended vaccines and without travel insurance.
- Do not remove corals from the Red Sea and avoid any contact with them, even small trauma can damage them.
Hot air balloon at Luxor, Egypt.
Why is it safe to book your vacation with a travel agency !!
Now, you know the best time to travel to Egypt, and we can safely let you go on vacation and wish you a good time! If you are still looking for budget package tours and great last-minute offers for our fabulous country, it is always worth taking a look at our Egypt Holiday Deals.
Our company offers all types of security to tourists, such as providing a professional tour guide who knows the areas by heart and can guide tourists to different places without fear of any danger. Egypt Time Travel is also responsible for introducing a qualified representative who helps, assist, and finalizes everything for you at the airport. So, if you want to have fun, enjoy, meditate, and be safe in Egypt, choose a professional travel agency in Egypt.
In short, you can travel safely to Egypt. Take the opportunity to book one of our Cairo Vacation Packages to visit the most famous tourist attractions in Egypt and take a look at our exclusive packages at special prices and with expert guides!
- From$8808 DaysTour the famous historical attractions in Cairo, and sail between Aswan and Luxor on an 8-day cruise. Explore one of the wonders of the ancient world, then travel to Aswan to explore the picturesque attractions of Aswan, including the famous Philae Temple, and you will discover many attractions in Luxor while sailing on the Nile.
- From$9508 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- From$4155 DaysVisit and experience the best landmarks in Cairo for a 5-day trip, see the pyramids of Giza, Old Cairo, and Salah El Din Citadel, and enjoy the beautiful views of the Nile River, while riding Felucca in one of the most enjoyable local activities.
- From$1,0508 DaysTour the famous historical attractions in Cairo, and sail between Aswan and Luxor on an 8-day cruise. Explore one of the wonders of the ancient world, then travel to Aswan to explore the picturesque attractions of Aswan, including the famous Philae Temple, and you will discover many attractions in Luxor while sailing on the Nile.
- From$1,2108 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise tour package to Egypt from South Africa. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- 10% OffFrom$1,410$1,2698 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- From$1,2108 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- From$1,0508 DaysTour the famous historical attractions in Cairo, and sail between Aswan and Luxor on our package tours to Egypt from Malaysia. Explore one of the wonders of the ancient world, then travel to Aswan to explore the picturesque attractions of Aswan, including the famous Philae Temple, and you will discover many attractions in Luxor while sailing on the Nile.