Egypt is a country full of history, culture, and landscapes, and knowing the best time to travel to Egypt makes every vacation in Egypt a new adventure that you take. Unique desert landscapes, attractions, and vacation spots provide a great combination for an exciting trip that you will not forget.
Egypt is a desert country. More than 95% of the national territory is covered by desert. The country is therefore dominated by a very dry climate with hot summers, mild winters, and enormous temperature fluctuations during the day and year. The intense heat during the day is often countered by a strong cooling at night.
Get up to 10%Off when booking one of our Egypt Vacation Packages check then now!
Nile River Corniche at Night, Cairo.
Below you will find information about the climate, the best time to go, and the weather for the holiday in Egyptian destinations. We created climate tables and charts for the locations of Cairo, Alexandria, Aswan, and Luxor. These contain details about temperatures, precipitation, and more.
Also, we have evaluated all measured values and make a recommendation in which months the travel destination Egypt is best suited for a vacation from a climactic point of view. With us, you can find out when the best weather can usually be expected.
Check our Content list about the best time to travel to Egypt:
- Climate & Weather
- The best time by region
- Mediterranean coast
- Coasts on the Red Sea
- Nile Valley
- The best time according to activities
- Beach vacation
- Round trips
- Desert tours
- Nile cruise
- Best time according to the seasons
- Tips before organizing a trip to Egypt
Climate & Weather in Egypt
How is the climate in Egypt? The climate in Egypt is subtropical warm and dry. Due to its location within the North African dry belt, most parts of Egypt have a desert climate. Only in the coastal regions at the Mediterranean Sea, the climate is the Mediterranean.
Here it comes in winter occasionally to precipitation. At the coast of the Red Sea, as in the interior, there is a subtropical desert climate. The sea breeze, however, brings a fresh wind, which makes the warm temperatures more bearable than in the desert regions. Here there is very little or no precipitation.
The daytime temperatures in July are 31 degrees Celsius in the northern Port Said, 34 degrees Celsius in the capital Cairo, 36 degrees Celsius in the tourist center on the Red Sea, Hurghada, and 41 degrees Celsius in Aswan in southeastern Egypt. In spring from March to June a hot sand and dust wind, the Chamsin, blows through the country from the south.
Hurghada Beach at Red Sea, Egypt.
In the winter months from November to February, the daytime temperatures are around 20 degrees Celsius. The nights can become cooler with approximately ten degrees Celsius, are however altogether still mild, and especially in the coastal regions of Egypt, the climate is all year round mild and well bearable.
On the Mediterranean coast, there may even be a few rainy days in December, January, and February. In the desert areas, however, the probability of rain is almost zero. A maximum of two rainy days per year is the climate values for Aswan and Luxor, east of the Nile. On some days in summer this leads to heat waves with temperatures beyond the 45-degree limit.
Find out in the following when the best time to travel for your Egypt vacation! Depending on what you have in mind for your trip and where you are staying. Therefore we will give you an overview of all touristically relevant places and show you when a trip makes the most sense.
Egypt weather and climate facts:
- The annual average temperature in Alexandria (Egypt) is 20 ° C.
- The highest temperatures are in Alexandria (Egypt) reached in August at 31 ° C.
- The coldest month, on the other hand, is January, during which night temperatures of around 10 ° C are measured.
- The monthly average temperature fluctuates between 14 ° C and 27 ° C over the year.
- The temperatures in Alexandria (Egypt) differ quite significantly from one another in the individual months. The different seasons are clearly defined.
- In most months the average temperature is at least 19 ° C (namely in all months except January, February, March, and December). Based on the temperature, these warm months can be recommended as the best travel time.
Best time to travel by region
1- Mediterranean Coast & Nile Delta
Although this region is the “wettest” in the country, this is only a relative value. Precipitation falls on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt only sparingly, only a few days of rain can be expected in the winter months. Astonishingly, the hottest temperatures (up to 45 degrees) can be measured, especially in late spring (May, June).
The best travel time for the Mediterranean coast of Egypt is from May to September. The slightly higher humidity in this area makes the hot temperatures a bit more uncomfortable than, for example, in the center or the south of the country.
2- Coasts on the Red Sea
The main vacation spots of the country in Egypt are mainly concentrated on the Red Sea. The reason for this is probably the more pleasant climate compared to all other parts of Egypt. Popular vacation spots such as Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, and Marsa Alam are on the coast of the Red Sea. Spring and autumn in particular have proven to be the best time to travel to the Red Sea attractions.
The temperatures at these times are a lot warmer than in other popular holiday regions in Egypt, but still very bearable. Midsummer gets very hot with temperatures of 40 degrees in some places but is still in the bearable range for most bathing holidaymakers. From June the water temperatures on the Red Sea will already reach over 25 degrees, wonderful conditions for a beach holiday.
3- Nile Valley
Let’s take another look at the interior of Egypt. Here we roughly distinguish between the large desert area in the west of the country and the many places that stretch along the Nile. The great river was of course the reason for the settlement of numerous tribes a long time ago, which has created great cultures and exciting sights. Just think of the ancient cities of ancient Egypt in Giza (Cairo) or Luxor.
For all places from Cairo to Luxor to Aswan in the south of the Egyptian summers are very long and hot. Peak values can even be 48 to 50 degrees here in July and August. The only consolation is the very low humidity, which makes the hot temperatures a bit more bearable.
The winters, however, are relatively cooler, but still very pleasant with an average of 20 degrees. Spring and autumn are considered pleasant in terms of heat but are very short. This is why these months are the best time to travel inland Egypt and the Nile.
Despite the spread of desert landscapes, Egypt is a super versatile country. In particular, the many different activities that are offered make every vacation something extraordinary. Whether desert tours, cultural trips, or just a beach holiday – a lot is conceivable in Egypt.
Best travel time according to activities
1- Beach vacation in Egypt – when does it start?
Family on the beach at Hurghada, Red Sea.
The northern part of Egypt is by far the coolest compared to any other part of the country. The temperatures rise to an average of 26 to 29 degrees in summer, the water temperatures are also lower than those of the Red Sea.
It is therefore advisable to take a summer vacation when it is unbearably hot in many parts of the country. You will find pleasant water temperatures of 20 to 22 degrees and warm conditions from May to September. So this is the best travel time for a beach holiday in Egypt.
Let’s come too favorite destinations: Hurghada and Sharm-El-Sheikh. The two-holiday resorts can be visited all year round. So you can have a vacation by the sea all year round. Cool winds coming from the sea ease the great heat in summer.
The winter, on the other hand, is very mild, and the temperature of the sea rarely falls below 20 degrees. At night, however, it is quite cool in the winter months, low temperatures are 11 degrees. The best travel time for a beach holiday in Egypt in this area is therefore spring and autumn.
Egypt is also a super cheap holiday destination. If you travel to Egypt in midsummer, you will have to deal with intense heat, but you will not find any overcrowded beaches. Hotels and flights are also cheaper at this time due to the moderate rush!
As this region is well known for diving, let’s take a quick look at this fun activity. In general, the best travel time for diving in Egypt is between May and November. The months of July and August are ideal for chilblains when the water has mild temperatures of 28 to even 30 degrees.
However, some popular diving spots are often well attended. Therefore, October and November are perfect for quieter and still pleasant dives. Because the Red Sea still has a temperature of 25 to 26 degrees.
2- Round trip to Egypt
Camel at Giza Plateau
The most culturally interesting areas for a round trip in Egypt can all be found along the Nile. In particular, the city of Cairo and parts of Upper Egypt (Luxor, Aswan) offer those interested in culture countless opportunities and extremely exciting sights.
The best travel time for round trips in Egypt is between February and April and October and November. Winter is also ideal for sightseeing.
3- Desert tours in Egypt
White desert in Egypt.
Desert tours and trekking activities should not be done in the winter months of December to February, as it cools down significantly at night in these areas. We also advise against the midsummer months of June to August. But if you are already on vacation in Egypt, you should think about such trips.
They mean great and unforgettable adventures in a landscape that is largely foreign to us. The best travel time for desert tours in Egypt includes spring and autumn: More specifically, the month’s March to May and September to November.
4- Nile cruises in Egypt
Nile Cruise in Luxor, Egypt.
Finally, there is a special form of travel that has undoubtedly shaped tourism in Egypt. Anyone who has never experienced a cruise on a grand scale should venture out onto the Nile. Passing historical sites and places that can be visited, you will experience the heart of Egypt here.
Also accommodated on one of the many luxurious cruise ships. This trip is something very special. The best travel time for Nile cruises in Egypt is from October to May. This is because the great heat and the risk of burns in summer cause problems for many visitors.
However, for those who can live with hot conditions, the summer months are also conceivable. Then the cruises are cheaper and not so crowded.
Is it safe to navigate the Nile in 2020/2021?
In fact, 2021 is a good time to enjoy a cruise on the Nile. Nile cruise vacations provide an incredible experience to discover all that is ancient in Egypt, especially those in Luxor and Aswan. 2019 proved to be full of optimism and advances in the tourism sector, especially on Nile cruise excursions, where the entire Nile banks in Luxor and Aswan are full of rival boats and travelers in historic sites.
Best travel time according to the seasons
1- Egypt vacation in spring
Spring is pretty much the best time to visit Egypt. The sun is shining, the temperatures are pleasantly warm and the vacation spots are not too crowded. At this time of year, you can go on a bathing or beach holiday, but also explore the ancient sites of Egypt.
2- Egypt vacation in summer
The summers in Egypt are very hot because the thermometer here often climbs to over 40 ° C at noon. If you are planning a summer holiday in Egypt, a beach holiday in the northern parts of the country, for example in Alexandria, is recommended.
3- Egypt vacation in autumn
Similar to spring, autumn is also the ideal travel time for a vacation in Egypt. The Red Sea invites all beach lovers to its coasts at this time. And cultural and city trips to Cairo or Luxor are also available in autumn. Autumn is also the best time to travel on a Nile cruise.
4- Egypt vacation in winter
The temperatures fluctuate in winter from 20 ° C during the day to 0 ° C at night. At the Red Sea, the temperatures are even warm enough to spend a beach holiday in Egypt in winter. And a cultural trip to the most impressive buildings of the ancient Egyptians is also easily possible in winter.
5- Egypt vacation in Ramadan
Many tourists avoid traveling to Egypt during Ramadan, because it is linked to the lunar year, and it wanders throughout the year. Since Egyptians, by following religion and tradition, fast during the day, they are tired and ineffective (well, this does not necessarily have to be a defect).
Many stores, offices, and museums are also open for a shorter period or even completely closed. Many restaurants do not open until the evening hours. Ramadan will start in early summer for the next few years (Monday, April 13 to Tuesday), if this is not the best time to visit Egypt anyway.
Tips before organizing a trip to Egypt
In any case, visiting Egypt is not impossible if you pay close attention and take the necessary precautions. Here’re our recommendations.
- Respect and maintain the culture and maintain a behavior appropriate to local use.
- Never photograph devices, military, and police buildings.
- Avoid participating in events and keep away from crowds.
- Avoid going for excursions without a guide and/or expert driver.
- Rely only on professional tour operators and do not leave the recommended tourist itineraries.
- Use clothing that is never provocative, and covers up as much as possible (both men and women)
- Don’t tell anyone about your sexual orientation and don’t use dating apps.
- Be especially vigilant during periods of religious holidays such as Ramadam or Easter.
- Leave your passport in a safe deposit box and walk around with only a copy.
- Do not travel without having carried out the recommended vaccines and without travel insurance.
- Do not remove corals from the Red Sea and avoid any contact with them, even small trauma can damage them.
Hot air balloon at Luxor, Egypt.
Why is it safe to book your vacation with a travel agency !!
Now, you know the best time of year to visit Egypt, we can safely let you go on vacation and wish you a good time! If you are still looking for budget package tours and great last-minute offers for our fabulous country, it is always worth taking a look at our Egypt Holiday Deals.
Our company strives to offer all types of security to tourists, such as providing a professional tour guide who knows the areas by heart and can guide tourists to different places without fear of any danger. Egypt Time Travel is also responsible for introducing a qualified representative who helps, assist, and finalizes everything for you at the airport. So, if you want to have fun, enjoy, meditate, and be safe in Egypt, choose a professional travel agency in Egypt.
In short, you can travel safely to Egypt. Take the opportunity to take a classic Egypt tour visiting the most famous tourist attractions in Egypt and take a look at our exclusive packages at special prices and with expert guides!
- 10% OffFrom$1,410$1,2698 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- From$1,2108 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- From$1,0508 DaysTour the famous historical attractions in Cairo, and sail between Aswan and Luxor on our package tours to Egypt from Malaysia. Explore one of the wonders of the ancient world, then travel to Aswan to explore the picturesque attractions of Aswan, including the famous Philae Temple, and you will discover many attractions in Luxor while sailing on the Nile.
- From$2753 DaysBook a short 3-day tour from Malaysia to Cairo and visit the best tourist attractions in Cairo, such as the Pyramids of Giza, the Egyptian Museum, Old Cairo, the Citadel, and Mohamed Ali Mosque.
- From$2753 DaysBook Egypt Tour from Malaysia for 3-day tour of Cairo and visit the best tourist attractions in Cairo, such as the Pyramids of Giza, the Egyptian Museum, Old Cairo, the Citadel, and Mohamed Ali Mosque.
- From$1,2108 DaysDiscover the best of ancient Egypt, from Cairo to Aswan with a fascinating 8-day trip to Cairo and Nile Cruise, Egypt tour packages from Malaysia. Join us as we explore some of the greatest historical sites across Egypt, including the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx, the Karnak Temple, Luxor, the High Dam, Philae Island, and much more.
- From$3053 Days / 2 NightsBook a private 3 days tour in Cairo and Alexandria from Malaysia to discover the best sightseeing in Cairo & Alexandria such as the Pyramids of Giza, Egyptian Museum, Qaitbay Citadel, Library of Alexandria, and more.
- From$2954 Days / 3 NightsBook 4 days in Cairo from Australia and visit the Pyramids of Giza, the Sphinx and the Egyptian Museum in addition to Saqqara and Old Cairo. You can also attend the sound and light show in the pyramids.